Monday, January 19, 2009

Our journey to conceive and making it through the 1st trimester

Our journey started about 3 years ago, trying to figure out why my cycles were off. After many months and a few to many drugs later, my OB felt that there was nothing more she could do and suggested we go see Texas Fertility Clinic. We met with Dr. Vaughn in Sept 07.
This was a tough year to start. My parents moved out of my childhood home, my grandmother was very ill and eventually passed away, and I was faced with a chance to try and conceive a baby. After a few more months of tests and new drugs, and an IUI we became pregnant on Nov 16. We were both so excited, this was what we were waiting for.
But after 7 weeks our little one left us. I was devastated to say the least. We waited a few months to get life back in order before trying again. We had 2 more IUI's that didn't work. At this point it was April 08 and I was sure I needed a break. To much pain to deal with. I took the next 6 months to exercise, loose weight, eat right and get my heart back in the right place.
September rolled around and I felt we could give it a chance; another IUI and another negative, ugh. October, I did 5 days of Clomid and Dr. Vaughn told me there we nothing; no eggs, no lining, nothing, and that we should try injectables. 11 days on injectables and we were anticipating doing IVF, but the ultrasound showed one large, strong egg. We did IUI on Nov 9th and by Nov 22 I hadn't started my cycle. I went and got my blood drawn and we were pregnant again. But the happiness shortly turned into fear. "What if this baby didn't make it like the last"? "Will I be able to be strong"? I got my blood drawn week after week and by the 5th week they were happy. We scheduled my first US to see the Heartbeat. It was a Thursday, @ 330. Why I made it for such a late appointment I will never know. As I lay there on the bed anxiously waiting I feared the worst. My heart was pounding as Dr. Vaughn walked into the room. We went to look for the little one, and there is was, heart beat and all. I cried... Just laid there and cried. Happy tears. I got to take home pictures of our little one and put them on the fridge. It was amazing. We scheduled on more visit for 9 weeks, after that I would go to my OB for future check ups. At 9 weeks the baby was doing great, strong and moving a ton. I was sad to leave Dr. Vaughn but it's a good feeling to be graduating to an OB. I saw Dr. Mingea on Jan 8 for my 10-11 week us. This was a big physical too. I will spare you all the details :0) I saw our little one again, this time there was legs, arms, a HUGE head and tiny little body. So here I am 11w5d, ready to get to the 2nd trimester.

No comments:

Post a Comment